How does the Bible “work”? What is its purpose? Where did it come from? How did we get it? Can we trust it? What does it mean for me? Join us as we wrestle with these (and other) questions as we survey the entire Bible together.
You'll hear the words trustworthy, timeless, and timely throughout this series.
Following the Immerse model, we've divided this series into six sections:
Beginnings- we will talk about:
- The Bible is Trustworthy
- The Bible is Timeless & Timely
- How the Bible works to tell us our origin story: Genesis 1-2
- How the Bible works to tell us what went wrong: Genesis 3-11
- How the Bible works to tell us about the beginnings of God's people: Genesis 12-50, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers & Deuteronomy
Kingdoms- we will talk about:
- How the Bible works to tell us God's plan for his people: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1-2Samuel, 1-2 Kings
Prophets- we will talk about:
- How the Bible works to call us back to him and his plan: Amos-Hosea-Micah-Isaiah-Zephaniah-Nahum-Habakkuk-Jeremiah- Obadiah-Ezekiel- Haggai-Zechariah-Malachi-Joel-Jonah
Poets- we will talk about:
- How the Bible works to teach us to praise God and give us wisdom: Psalms-Lamentations-Song of Songs-Proverbs-Ecclesiastes-Job
Chronicles- we will talk about:
- How the Bible works to remind us of our true story and hope as we wait for the Messiah: Chronicles-Ezra-Nahemiah-Esther-Daniel
Messiah- we will talk about:
- How the Bible works to teach us about Jesus, the Messiah: Matthew-Mark-Luke-John
- How the Bible works to teach us about his people, the church- Acts-Jude
- How the Bible works to tell us about the return of Jesus: Revelation
There are a number of additional resources we're recommending for this series.
- The Immerse Bible is a six-volume Bible created with one goal in mind: to provide the best reading experience possible. The text is laid out in a beautiful single-column setting with chapter and verse numbers, section headings, and footnotes removed, and with the content of each book displayed according to its literary genre. The translation is NLT. The six volumes (Beginnings, Kingdoms, Prophets, Poets, Chronicles, and Messiah) form the basic outline of our series. Each volume has a dedicated website filled with videos, podcasts, reading guides and even a family study guide. Just click the links below to access these resources.
- The Bible Project believes the Bible is a unified story that leads to Jesus. Completely crowd-funded, they create and provide podcasts and video that is available and accessible for people of all maturity levels.
- YouVersion believes a daily rhythm of seeking intimacy with God has the power to transform lives. That’s why YouVersion creates biblically centered and culturally relevant experiences that encourage and challenge people to seek God throughout each day. We create an "event" for each of our Sunday gatherings using the Bible app that includes a weekly Bible study; we'd love for you to participate with us.
- Right Now Media is a video-streaming service on a mission to work with the global church to inspire people to love others before self and Christ above all. WestWay provides this service free of charge to those who call WestWay "home". The studies Why We Trust the Bible by Stephen Nichols and Survey of the Bible by Bruce Wilkinson would be helpful resources for this series. If you do not have access to Right Now Media, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.